Friday, December 19, 2008

Rice Cake Pizza!

This recipe was a huge hit with the birds! All organic, and very simple to make as a special meal for them. In fact, I think it would taste rather good if you want to share it with your birds! I can't guarantee this, though, since I am allergic to some of the ingredients, so don't take my word for it.

I think they are a great way to sneak in food your birds will not normally eat. On top of a rice cake and held together pretty well with the cheese, they usually eat everything on it, down to the last crumb!

Rice Cake Pizzas
- brown rice cakes
-fruit only jam (I used apple butter, made only from cooked apples)
-shredded carrot
-chopped celery
-flax seed
-favorite seed/nut of your bird, I used pine nuts and sesame seeds
-shredded cheese, with no dyes, optional (I only give my birds cheese once in a blue moon, and on something like this, a very little goes a long way)
-toppings: cinnamon, herbs, spices, or vitamins your bird needs, I used spirulina on the one for my budgies

Spread the rice cakes with a very small amount of jam, and add the celery, carrots, and cheese. Heat in the oven or microwave until the cheese is melted, and finish by adding the nuts/seeds, and any other toppings your bird likes.

2 comments:

DoodleBird said...

That's an excellent idea! I'm going to try it on Nani.

Sharon said...

This is a great idea.

I will have to try this recipe for Mooky!